On March 25th, 1897, a meeting at Unley Park determined to support the building of a new church at Hawthorn. Land on Napier Road (now Cross Rd) was purchased and architect Alfred Wells was commissioned. The foundation of the Neo-Gothic style church was laid on May 13th 1898. Worship was initially licensed under the supervision of St Michael’s, Mitcham.
In 1921 Hawthorn became a parish in its own right. Parish buildings have changed over time and the property now includes the Parish Centre and Rectory. Stained glass windows reflect stages in our history as do the War Memorials. Adjacent is the Memorial Garden and the landscaped Parish Close which includes a vegetable garden and the sacred garden, all open to the community.